Great Tips On Basketball Player Equipment
One of the greatest things about this game is that the Basketball Player Equipment needed is very simple and inexpensive! When you play basketball, there is no need to haul around any heavy, expensive equipment.
Basketball Player Equipment
Although there are some great basketball training aids and equipment available today to help improve your skills, this page is about the basic equipment needed to play the game.
- Basketball Sneakers - Players should wear comfortable, properly fitting basketball sneakers. There are so many styles, varieties and names to choose from today that it is often difficult to know which sneakers to buy.
First, I recommend that you select sneakers that are within your price range. There's no need to break the bank over a pair of sneakers!
The sneakers should have proper ankle support to prevent rolled or sprained ankles. The sneakers should also have good traction to allow the player to make quick stops and starts on the basketball court.
- Athletic Socks - Players should wear two pairs of athletic socks. This will help prevent their feet and toes from blistering and will also provide additional comfort for their feet.
- Athletic Shorts - Players should wear a loose-fitting, comfortable pair of athletic shorts. This will allow them to move quickly and freely without any restrictions on their legs or lower body.
- Athletic Shirt or Jersey - Players should wear a loose-fitting, comfortable shirt, jersey or tank-top. Again, this will allow them to move quickly and freely without having their arms or upper body restricted.
- Elbow Pads - There is a lot of contact in basketball. Players should wear elbow pads to prevent causing injuries to others. Covering their elbows will reduce the chance of another player being injured if accidentally elbowed.
- Knee Pads - Players should wear knee pads to protect themselves during falls or dives to the floor.
- Goggles - Again, basketball is a contact sport. One of the worst injuries in the game is being poked in the eye. I've had it happen to me and it was more painful than almost any other injury I've ever suffered. Players should wear goggles to protect themselves from an inadvertent poke to the eye.
- Mouth Piece - Players should wear a mouth piece to protect their teeth, tongue, cheeks and lips from injuries caused by accidental contact. More and more players are wearing mouth pieces due to the amount of contact during a game or practice, especially down around the basket.
- Basketball - This falls more in the basketball equipment section rather than the basketball player equipment section. But I think it is still something every player should have in order to practice the game and improve their skills.
The main key when selecting a basketball is to choose one that is appropriate for the player's age and level of competition. Check out our page on Basketball Dimensions for more information on choosing the right ball!
Basketball Hoop - This isn't necessarily basketball player equipment, but again, it's something that every player should definitely have in order to be able to practice properly.
I would recommend that you purchase a hoop that is adjustable in order to accommodate the player's age and level of competition. For more information on age-appropriate heights for the hoop, please visit our page on Basketball Court Dimensions!
These are what I consider to be the basic pieces of basketball player equipment. Now, does a player need every piece of equipment listed above? No, of course not!
The player should buy and use what they feel they need the most. Some players just won't wear goggles or knee pads - others don't mind them at all. So it all depends on what the player is comfortable wearing and using. Please keep this in mind when making your purchases!
I hope you found this information on Basketball Player Equipment to be helpful and informative! Selecting and using the proper equipment is an important part of being comfortable on the basketball court. Players should take their time and choose what they definitely need and will use during practices and games.
If you need more great information on this or any other basketball topics, I would suggest you purchase some good
basketball books and videos. These will provide you with a wealth of knowledge about the game of basketball.
Return To Basketball Player Equipment Top
Return From Basketball Player Equipment To Youth Basketball Rules
Return From Basketball Equipment To Home Page