Youth Hoops - September 10, 2007
Your Weekly Dose Of Basketball Tips, Advice & Resources!
Youth Hoops Will Now Be Delivered To Your Inbox On A Weekly Basis. In my continued efforts to provide you with the best information on the game of basketball, I will now send out Youth Hoops once a week.
Quote Of The Week
Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.
Check out this incredible collection of
1500+ inspirational sports quotes.
Tip Of The Week
If you are looking to develop an effective muscle building program, there are certain steps you need to take in order to be successful. This section does not focus on a certain type of program, but rather a list of tips that you should take into consideration when starting a strength training routine.
When designing and implementing your workout, be sure to follow the ten tips listed below. By doing this, you will ensure yourself of developing a safe, effective and consistent muscle building routine.
Here are the 10 Tips For Muscle Building Success:
- Avoid The Use of Steroids - Your muscle building program should never include the use of steroids. This is a no-brainer.
- Focus On Clean and Nutritious Eating - Proper nutrition should include a combination of good, clean and nutritious carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, proteins and fats. Food is the fuel for your body. The more clean and nutritious it is...the better your body will perform.
- Avoid One Body Part Workouts - Your program should focus on a full body workout. Full body workouts will allow you to work all your major muscle groups three times in the week, without over training.
- Stay Focused and Dedicated To Your Conditioning - Your strength training program should include a variety of activities including a variety of weight training exercises, cardio work and short rest periods among other things.
- Stick To Taking The Basic Supplements - You should be taking a high-quality multi-vitamin, protein powder and Omega-3 fish oil. Stick to these basics and stay away from the latest fads.
- Learn Proper Strength Training Techniques First - Proper technique is the foundation to an effective muscle building program.
- Stretch Just As Much As You Lift - Proper stretching not only increases flexibility, but also ensures that your muscles will grow with your training.
- Focus On Bodyweight Strength First - Your goal should be to consistently perform 20 - 40 push-ups, chin-ups and dips.
- Keep Your Workouts Under 1 Hour - Your goal should be for an intense 20 - 30 minute workout.
- Develop A Full Range Of Motion - This is the key to fully developing each muscle being worked.
By consistently following the Ten Muscle Building tips listed above, you should be able to develop an extremely successful muscle building program.
If you're looking for a highly effective, step-by-step workout routine to follow, then sign up for your
Free 8 Part Muscle Building E-Course today!
Communication is a critical aspect of coaching. If you are able to effectively communicate with your players, coaching staff, administrators, referees and parents - you will be much more successful as a basketball coach.
Proper communication and effective coaching go hand-in-hand. Sure, there are some successful coaches that are awful at communicating with others. But for the most part, the most successful coaches are the ones that are able to properly and effectively communicate with the people around them.
Here are nine keys to communicating effectively as a basketball coach:
- Communicate in a way that is comfortable to you, and in a style that fits your personality and philosophy.
- Correct any problems quickly through good communication.
- Offer constructive criticism using the sandwich method, which is "Compliment, criticism, compliment."
- Be enthusiastic in your communication, but not overbearing. Never intentionally embarrass or humiliate another person.
- Always be honest when communicating with others. Sometimes this means admitting you don't know something.
- Take a personal interest in your players off the court. Show them you have an interest in their lives away from basketball.
- Maintain an open door policy with your players, their parents, your assistants, faculty members and community members.
- Treat officials with fairness and respect. Develop a friendly relationship with them during pre-game warm-ups.
- Accommodate members of the media when they approach you for pre- and post-game interviews.
Product Reviews Of The Week
Coach K's DVD Series - Mike Krzyzewski Duke Basketball 6-Pack.
Duke University Head Men's Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski, NABC "Coach of the Decade", and the Duke University Men's Basketball Coaching staff do a fantastic job of teaching the fundamentals of the game in this 6 DVD set.
Read more here...
Pistol Pete DVD Series - Homework Basketball.
The Pistol Pete DVD series is a comprehensive instructional series offering an incredible combination of instruction, motivation and one-of-a-kind drills.
Read more here...
The Lighter Side Of Basketball
The psychology instructor had just finished a lecture on mental health and had proceeded to give an oral quiz to the freshman class.
Speaking specifically about manic depression, the instructor asked, "How would you diagnose a patient who walks back and forth screaming at the top of his lungs one minute, then sits in a chair weeping uncontrollably the next?"
A young man in the rear of the room raised his hand and answered, "A basketball coach?"
Stay Current With Youth Hoops
If you know anyone who would like to subscribe to the Youth Hoops newsletter, simply send them this
Youth Hoops link.
This will take them to our newsletter sign-up page. Thanks!